Desktop icons vanishing!
When I load up Vista, the desktop icons appear for a moment and then vanish.
The sidebar works as normal, but to view the icons, I have to: right click>view>(uncheck) show desktop Icons, then do all of that again and re-check it.
I cannot get the icons to stay
loaded when I start up.
I don't know any other options to follow.
Anwsers to the Problem Desktop icons vanishing!
Thank you for posting to Microsoft Answers Community Forums.
You may try to boot the computer in safe mode and verify if you are able to view the desktop icons. To boot in safe mode restart the computer and keep tapping F8 key.
If you are able to see the Icons in safe mode, perform a clean boot on your computer
and verify if icons remains on the desktop after the restart.
To perform a clean boot on a computer that is running Windows Vista:
Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
When you are prompted, click Restart.
After the computer starts, verify the desktop icons.
If your issue is resolved after performing Clean Boot and then installing the updates, then follow the steps mentioned in the following KB article to narrow down the exact source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Also, see the section on how return your computer to a Normal startup mode by following the steps under “Reset the computer to start as usual”.
You may also run a online virus scan from the link below to verify if your computer is infected with Virus.
If you find any files infected, try to remove it.
Also run the System File Checker, this will scan protected system files and replace incorrect versions, with the correct Microsoft versions of the files.
Open an elevated command prompt.
To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click on Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click run as administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password
or click Allow.
Type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow
Hope it helps.
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think
Manually editing the Windows registry to fix Error Desktop icons vanishing!
Caution: Unless you an advanced PC user, we DO NOT recommend editing the Windows registry manually. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. We do not guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
- Click the Start button.
- Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- Type "regedit" and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 0x9C-related key (eg. Windows Operating System) you want to back up.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the Windows Operating System backup key.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as "Windows Operating System Backup".
- In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
- You now have a backup of your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION-related registry entry.
Recommended Method to Fix the Problem: Desktop icons vanishing!:
How to Fix Desktop icons vanishing! with SmartPCFixer?
1. Click the button to download Error Fixer . Install it on your computer. Run it, and it will scan your system. The errors will be shown in the list.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems which need to be repaired.
3. The Repair part is done, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been removed. You can also use other functions in SmartPCFixer. Like dll downloading, junk file cleaning and print spooler error repair.
Related: How to Update & Download NVidia GeForce 6100/nForce 420 WHQL Certified driver v.178.13,How to Update & Download NVidia GeForce 7600 GS Video Driver v.295.75 Certified,How Can I Update & Download NVidia GeForce 820M Driver v.344.48 WHQL,[Solved] Download NVidia GeForce GTX 560M VGA Driver v.296.17 Certified,Way to Update & Herunterladen NVidia GeForce GT 130M Video Treiber v.295.75 Certified,How to Update & Download SONY SVE14A1X1RH Realtek Ethernet Driver,Where to Download SONY SVS13A2W9ES Bluetooth Driver (Intel) v.2.6 - 188.8.131.52059,Best Way to Update & Download SONY VGN-CR203E Conexant HDAUDIO SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP Setup Program v.184.108.40.206 driver,Best Way to Download SONY VGN-FE790G/N Wireless LAN Driver v.10.6.0.29,Method to Update & Download SONY VGN-NR31Z/S Firmware Extension Parser Device v.220.127.116.11,How to Fix Error 0x0000c1f5 Solución?,Error 0x80071a91 Win7 Fix Patch,Error 0x800ccc60 Windows Live Mail [Solved],Error Message 0x800ccc79 Outlook 2000 Fix,What is Error 0xc1ab0001?,[Answered] x64 saplugin dll,How to Fix Problem - Kb943729 Download?,Troubleshooting: Bccode D1 Error,Java Runtime Tech Support,Troubleshooting: ERROR NO SUCH GROUP Error
Read More: Troubleshooter of Error: Deleting a favorite that won't go away!,Troubleshooter of Error: Date & Time custom format query,Deleted Windows.old folders are still taking up room on hard drive! Tech Support,Troubleshooting:Desktop not responding after booting Error,Fast Solution to Problem: deleted 80 gigs of files, only freed up 30 gigs according to My Computer. Anyone know why?